USI Employee Spotlight: Avery Leclerc
Learn a little more about Avery and check out how he answered the questions below….
• Before working at USI what was your most unusual or interesting job that you had?
Depending on your interests, this might be a tie… I spent part of one summer as a paid intern in the library at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, working on a conservation project for their Rare Books collection – I also worked as a late night bartender, salesperson, and delivery driver at a local craft beer emporium and bar.
• What are you currently binge watching?
My wife and I have been watching through a lot of the (“modern”) Batman / DC Comics films, from Batman 1989 onward. I’m also “binge listening” to the podcast, My Brother, My Brother and Me.
• If you could have any superpower what would it be?
This is very difficult to answer simply, and largely depends on my mood – there are obvious cop outs (Invincibility would be nice)… but I’ll go with Technopathy at the moment.
• If you could learn anything, what would it be?
How to self-motivate, perfectly, under any circumstances – then I could learn literally anything else.
• When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A paleontologist / archeologist.
• What is one food that you cannot resist?
BBQ boneless wings dipped in ranch. Almost any kind of cheese. Black olives. Cocktail shrimp. Tough to pick just one…
• Where is your favorite place to be?
My favorite place to be is probably hiked all the way up on the windward gunwale of a small sailboat as it keels under a strong wind. Feels a lot like flying, but without so much fatal distance between me and the earth.
• What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way?
There’s nothing I can think of. I’m a big proponent of constantly challenging the way anything is done – if there’s a better way, I’d rather try to adapt.
• What is the best piece of advice that you have ever received?
• If you had 1 free hour each day, what would you do?
I want to say I would work out, write, or something productive… Most likely I’d play some League of Legends or browse TikTok.
• Do you have any strange phobias?
Bees / wasps, outer space, being deep underwater.
• If you could add one thing to the USI office, what would it be?
Anything…? I think I’d add a Holodeck, from Star Trek – this could serve nearly infinite work-related (and non work-related) purposes.
• What has been your favorite project at USI?
The Wells Fargo project is my favorite.
• What is your favorite part about working for USI?
My favorite part of working for USI is absolutely the family mentality and camaraderie of the great people who work here.
• What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery?
I would pay off all of my debt. That’s a pretty uninteresting answer, but I can’t imagine doing anything else first. Then I’d probably have to buy my wife a puppy…
• What was the best concert you ever attended?
An indie band I enjoy was playing a concert at a small venue in Columbus, so I traveled down to see it with my brother. A lovely local singer-songwriter happened to be playing a set to open for them… She is now my wife.
• What are you passionate about?
I’m passionate about lots of things – but as far as major interests / investments of my time, thought, and energy – I’m especially passionate about my close friendships, discovering and experiencing new music, movies and other art, and about technology, but especially as it pertains to gaming and virtual reality. Most importantly, seeking out and sharing new experiences related to those things with the people I love.
• What’s the best meal you’ve ever had?
Many meals made by my grandfather have rivaled one another for “best meal of all time” – but one of my favorite recipes of his is a huge pasta dish with shrimp, scallops, other seafood, and delicious homemade sauce.
• What are some of your pet peeves?
All of them boil down to people refusing to think logically and / or critically about things.
Want to chat with Avery about an upcoming project you think USI would be perfect for? Send him an email here!