USI Employee Spotlight: Melissa Brake
Learn a little more about Melissa and check out how she answered the questions below….
• Before working at USI what was your most unusual or interesting job that you had?
My first job in high school was working at Taco Bell.
• What are you currently binge watching?
We just binged Community and are now watching Designated Survivor.
• If you could have any superpower what would it be?
It would probably be the ability to time travel. I’m not a big fan of flying so this seems like it would be super convenient.
• If you could learn anything, what would it be?
I wish I knew how to sew. That way I could fix all of the toys my dog tears open, but instead I have to ask my mom to fix them!
• When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Probably a vet or a teacher. Problem is, I get squeamish around bodily fluids and hurt/sick animals make me sad.
• What is one food that you cannot resist?
Queso. Queso by itself or queso in something is my weakness.
• Where is your favorite place to be?
It’s really anywhere with my loved ones. But if I had to pick an actual specific place, it would be Walt Disney World.
• What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way?
I take notes by hand and use a daily planner where I can write down my tasks and visualize what I need to do. (Something about using colored markers makes me motivated and happy).
• What is the best piece of advice that you have ever received?
Always follow through with your commitments and do what you say you’re going to do.
• If you had 1 free hour each day, what would you do?
Snuggle my dog. Nap. Pick up a new hobby. Be productive. The possibilities are endless.
• Do you have any strange phobias?
Mascots with rounded lower halves of their body’s kind of freak me out. Especially when they thrust those rounded lower halves.
• If you could add one thing to the USI office, what would it be?
A room to nap and snuggle with puppies. A girl can dream, right?
• What has been your favorite project at USI?
Working on Travel Centers of America really gave me a crash course in lighting. Those jobs left me with more knowledge about lighting, fixtures, installation and auditing than I started with!
• What is your favorite part about working for USI?
I love the core values of USI! It’s also a very relaxed atmosphere but we’re able to stay focused and get things done.
• People would be surprised if they knew what about you?
I graduated Kent State University with Josh Cribbs! He walked across the stage at my graduation ceremony to receive his degree. People in the crowd were barking; it was great!
• What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery?
I would get in contact with HGTV and have David Bromstad from My Lottery Dream Home find me a new house!
• What was the best concert you ever attended?
This is tough. I would probably have to go with Eric Church. One show he played for more than 4 hours. His show last year was two nights and it was incredible!
• What are you passionate about?
I’m passionate about volunteering and giving back. I’ve been working with non-profits as a volunteer since I was in high school. It’s always been such a rewarding and fulfilling experience for me.
• What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
Get married? I’m kidding! (Love you Shawn)
• What’s the best meal you’ve ever had?
That’s tough. I love home-cooked family meals that have a story behind them. But, since I can’t pick one and I am terrible with decisions, I’m going with chicken and mac and cheese from Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’. The atmosphere and drinks add to the whole experience, too!
• What are some of your pet peeves?
People who chew loudly. People who drive under the speed limit. People who volunteer to do something then don’t do it.
Want to chat with Melissa about an upcoming project you think USI would be perfect for? Send her an email here!